frequently asked


We're committed to your success.

AIBE will work with you throughout the application, interview, and job placement process to help you determine the best fit for you and our partner schools.  Expand your career options by taking on a thrilling new challenge.  Your success is directly tied to ours.

Frequently asked questions


How does the application process work?

The process is very straightforward and easy. 1. Download the application 2. Complete the application 3. Obtain a copy of your degree and certifications 4. Forward copies to AIBE 5. An interview will be set up if you meet the program requirements 6. An offer will be made if you're a good fit for the program

Is TEFL Certification required?

TEFL/ESL qualifications are always helpful yet not required, except for some management positions (School Principal, Department Head) may require TEFL/ESL qualification.

What are the language requirements - do I need to be fluent in the local language?

Fluency in English is required in order to teach in China. While some knowledge or fluency of Mandarin Chinese is always helpful, it is not required. All subject matter is presented in English with support from Chinese instructors when available. AIBE will provide you with some basic language/cultural knowledge. Schools may offer language classes in Mandarin Chinese to help you become familiar with basic, daily communication. Learning a second language provides you with signifcant short and long-term career benefits, including appreciating your students' learning curves. It will also assist you after leaving China.

Can I apply without obtaining my Bachelor's Degree?

Yes - while a Bachelor's Degree (from an accredited university) is required, we stronly encourage both undergraduate/graduate students apply during your final year of study. American Institute of Bilingual Education (AIBE) partners with some universities to provide the opportunity to simultaneously complete a degree and learn about teaching and living in China.

When can I apply?

Applications are accepted on a rolling basis with priority given to positions requiring immediate placement (fall and winter semesters). AIBE will keep your application active until we find a position that best meets your needs, interests, background, and becomes available. We will keep your file active for one year, at which time, you should reapply.

What are the weekly work requirements?

They vary based on position and campus. There is a base time requirement in/outside class - teaching hours, lesson preparation, student evaluation, meeting with parents, etc., clearly outlined in your employment contract. This contract will also stipulate promotional opportunities, retention incentives, pay increases, etc. Expect to work 40 hours a week.


Do I apply for a specific job?

AIBE partners with several Chinese school systems with huge footprints and plans for significant expansion. Positions are constantly added and updated the meet the ever-demanding need for foreign teachers. We mainating a database of positions; our scoring system ranks candidates and match their abilities, skills and talents with the right positions at the right schools. AIBE prioritizes its recruiting efforts to get the best and brightest prospective teachers to match them with our partner schools. Through our sister company, BCC International Education Group, we provide international education experiences for Chinese high school students to earn a diploma in the U.S.A. and go on to attend colleges/universities in the U.S.A. We also offer cultural camps, professional development for educators, and we consult with Chinese high schools to establish international curriculums. The mission of both companies: Bridging the international education divide in order to develop global educational leaders of the future.

What is the Salary/Benefits package?

Salary and benefits packages vary across positions. Foreign teachers can expect to earn a salary commensurate with experience and the requirements of the position. -Free room and board, and healthcare coverage is included. -Most meals are provided on campus when school is in session. -Time off includes: National holidays in China, and summer vacation. -Round trip airfare is included (if you leave the program early you may need to reimburse AIBE). All relevant, detailed information is provided for each posistion and finlaized during the inverview in China via a contract. Teachers typically live on campus with their foreign counterparts or receive assistance with securing lodging prior to arrival.

What is the minimum time requirement?

Schools in China require a one-year time commitment, although a two-year engagement is strongly preferred. On occasion, there may be a summer or one semester experience available for foreign teachers. While a three year commitment is not required, it typically takes three years to really excel at this teaching opporutnity. The first year is the biggest hurdle as you learn on the job - the second year - you become more comfortable with expectations - the third year - you truly begin making change and are viewed as a leader.

Are the duties/responsibilities the same for all teaching positions in China?

Job requirements vary based on the individual needs of each school. One of our educators at AIBE will discuss your interests, background, experience and expertise during the initial screening interview. We will asses the information, calculate according to our scoring system, and match it with our database of schools/open positions. We will match you with one/two jobs that match requirements and provide you with the specific job description/position. Many of the jobs share basic similiarites; the biggest difference may be salary and certain day-to-day expectations based on a particular school's needs. In China's work culture, as with many other work cultures, flexibility is important as some duties may get verbally modified from time to time. These changes should not significantly alter your duties or requirements.

Do I need special Visa/Travel Documents?

A valid passport that will not expire earlier than six months prior to desired return to the U.S.A. is required in order to apply for a Chinese Visa. Application at a Chinese Embassay or China Consulate is necessary prior to departure from the U.S.A. If you move forward with a teaching offer, AIBE and your future employer will work with you to confirm deadlines for making applicaion, as well as ensuring you understand which documents are neccesary to meet all requirements for approval. We will help you throughout this process.


What is it like to work and live in China?

It's exciting, thrilling, most likely very different than your current location - it's an adventure. You have an opportunitiy to explore both the revered ancient history and culture of China, with an eye towards the future, taking place in China on every level. You will encounter challenges that will test you and provide growth opportunities for you to learn more about yourself, and our friends in China. The people are warm, inviting, and excited to host you as you help them learn English and other subjects. You are an ambassador for the U.S.A. and for the teaching profession. You have the ability to make a significant difference in the lives of your students and their families. AIBE takes this commitment very seriously.

Will my salary/benefits cover my living expenses?

Yes - your salary and benefits will cover your basic living expenses. Typically, your salary/benefit package, when properly managed, will provide you with some extra income that can be leveraged for travel. Depending upon your location, your salary may be higher than local salaries. Families may also invite you to dine with them, share social activities. AIBE also organzies connecting/social events for you to meet other local teachers. You will be immersed in the local culture which will enrich your life.

Can a friend/partner/spouse join me and can we teach together?

Yes - feel free to apply with your friends/partner/spouse, or bring them along. Family members are welcome to come to China, although housing to accomodate more individuals may be a cost borne by you, based on capacity/availability. Share this request during your interview to obtain further information. We will work with you to help your find appropriate accomodations. This opporutnity offers a great learning opporunity for your friend/partner/spouse/family. Each of our partner schools offers an international high school program and English immersion classes that, depending upon ages, may be a good fit for your children. Teachers often bring their children/families as it is common and encouraged.

Is it safe to live and work in China?

Yes - while there are no risk-free places to live in the world, AIBE and BCC know China. We live and work in the major/minor cities. We have relationships with the schools administrators, government, police, and community leaders. We actively monitor the safety and security of our teachers and administrators. It's important you use common sense while living and working in China. We will review security protocols and general guidelines during your pre-departure training in the U.S.A., and during your on-site orientation.

© 2017 American Institute of Blingual Education (AIBE)


Tel: +1. 734.904.9851

  • Facebook
  • Instagram